Do you love Anthropologie’s home decor? I do! I love surfing their website and dreaming. The vibe is so fresh and modern and boho. I recently fell in love with all of the woven wall art, but the price….boy is it outta sight!!
So what’s a girl to do to get that $300 piece of wall art? Well, make her own of course!
The inspiration came to me as I was shopping at TJ Maxx. I was trolling the clearance isle, when I spotted it. It had the perfect pattern and texture and would be perfect in our forgotten living room when it was done getting it’s makeover.
This post contains affiliate links, you can see my full disclosure HERE.
This project was a quick and easy DIY so let’s get to it!
DIY Woven Wall Art…in just 15 minutes
Here is what you will need to make your own woven wall art:
- patterned woven throw rug
- dowel rod
- embroidery needle
- Micro KingCord cotton twisted string
I am using a 3ft x 5ft throw rug because our ceilings are only 8ft. Consider the size of your space and where you will be hanging it when deciding what size rug to buy. Make sure the rug has texture for visual interest and consider the color and pattern on the rug.
I am participating for the first time this year in the one room challenge and the color and texture in this rug will look great with my overall plan for my room. You can see the before pictures and plan for my living room makeover in week 1 HERE, but I have to keep where this little gem will be hanging under wraps until the reveal in November.
DIY Woven Wall Art…the how to
- Lay the dowel rod on the rug and fold over, deciding how much you want folded over. I did about 2 1/2 inches. The dowel needs enough room to slide in and out easily (I may or may not have had to redo it once). Pin on each end to hold it in place.
- Using an embroidery needle (it has to be strong enough to go through the rug and accommodate the string) sew along the straight edge of the end of the rug. My first go around I sewed up higher than the edge and let’s just say I can’t sew a straight line even with it pinned all the way across. So I modified my technique to save you the headache.
- Put your dowel rod back in, add string to hang and voila`!
- Make sure to wrap the string several times to ensure it is strong enough to hold and to keep the knot from slipping out (that may or may not have happened to me the first time too)
I chose to fold my rug over so that the fringe would hang in the front at the top, but you could totally fold it backwards if you wanted to. Just know that your stitching will show if you do it that way.
So there you have it. DIY woven wall art in 15 minutes for under $20. I saved hundreds doing it myself!! I just love the eclectic style this will add to our living room.
I could give you links to similar products to buy to use, but honestly, you will do much better to search the clearance isle of your favorite home decor store to find a rug you like.
Do you think you could make your own woven wall art? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
Not sure if this would fit with your design style? Not even sure what your design style is? Take my design style quiz and let’s find out! DESIGN STYLE QUIZ
In case you don’t DIY, here’s the links to some that you might like…just click on the pic.
Talk to you soon!