ORC Week 1: The Before and The Plan
A few weeks ago I was chatting with a blogging friend and she suggested I join in the fall one room challenge. What? Me? Really? “Yes!”, she said. “It’s a great way to network with other decor bloggers, be seen by brands, and when it’s all done you have a completely new room!” Hmmm…our forgotten living room could use a makeover…
What is the ORC you ask? The One Room Challenge (ORC) is a challenge put together and hosted by Linda from Calling It Home and media partner House Beautiful. 20 feature bloggers and 200 + guest bloggers have 6 weeks to makeover a room of their choice, sharing their progress weekly as the challenge moves along. And yes, you will be able to get to them all from a link here.
After thinking it over, for about 2 hot seconds, I told her I would do it! I love room makeovers, I have done two already in our home (our $100 master bath makeover and our $100 home office makeover) so I knew I could handle this.
This is a much bigger stage and I have to confess that I am very nervous, but I am pushing forward and putting myself out there, for better or worse. Please let it be for the better, my fingers are crossed!
Don’t Forget to Pin for Later!
Our Forgotten Living Room: The Before
Three years ago we built a 900 square foot room addition. It is marvelous and that is now where we spend all of our time. It is where all of the family gatherings happen.
The room addition left our poor living room all but forgotten, ignored, like yesterday’s leftovers.
Every piece of left over furniture made it’s way into this poor room. Our youngest daughter moved back in at one point with her two kids and the carpet is a mess.
The paint color, Valspar’s Crocodile Tears, is one of my favorite paint colors, but I am going towards a more unifying paint scheme in our home. And let’s not even talk about the builder grade faux wood trim (some painted white, some not…please don’t judge) and hollow core doors!
This poor little room is long overdue for a facelift!
Our Forgotten Living Room: The Plan
This is my inspiration for the space. I plan to use a mix of metals, colors and patterns to create and eclectic living area.
Now let me just stop right here and tell you that without a plan for your space, it can easily go sideways and end up costing way more than you plan. It could also end up not being exactly what you want.
With any project I do, I set a budget (not saying I always stick to it), I look for inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram, and I set a timeline for when individual things will be done. Following a timeline is particularly important. Without it, I would drive my husband crazy.
I have a room planning worksheet, you can get yours FREE HERE, that I use whenever I am doing a project like this.
So back to the plan…
There are some things that I can’t change at this time.
- The carpet has to stay so I will shampoo the carpet and buy an area rug to tie my whole design together (and to cover up any stains that may not come out)
- The love seat is a sleeper sofa, the grand littles love sleeping on it when they stay all night, so it is staying. I can’t disappoint the grand littles!
My list of to dos
- paint the trim and doors white
- paint the walls and add an architectural detail to the room
- fix the carpet at the entry and replace tiles
- clean the carpet
- turn an old cedar chest into a cushioned bench
- create a new media console for under the TV
- create and purchase new wall art
- replace vertical blind with new updated plantation style blind
- source or make new throw pillows
- refinish side table, and current console table
- refurbish 2 chairs or reupholster 1 chair
- purchase an area rug to tie the whole space together
- pull it all together in a room with way too many openings and doors
That’s my list, it may or may not change as the next 6 weeks go by, depending on how much help I need from my hubby…he hates when my projects become his projects, so I am planning on doing this All.By.Myself. As much as I can.
Here is a sneak peak at what I picked up this week.
I am ready to get this makeover started and to see what everyone else does with their space!
Come follow along with me over on Instagram at @pearlstreetdesigns and #oneroomchallenge!
See you back here next Thursday with a progress report!